MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
In just a few days we’ll celebrate our 128th Labor Day — an annual holiday dedicated to recognizing workers’ many social and economic contributions to our country. It is rooted in the late 19th Century, when labor activists and trade unions were fighting to rectify the poor working conditions of that era. Those efforts not only led to the nationally-recognized holiday, but fairer wages, time off, sick leave, and safer work environments, as well as a stronger, more inclusive workforce.
Unions are the backbone of our nation, and that couldn’t be more true than in Washington state. We are home to the third highest rate of unionized workers in the country — with over 630,000 members and 19% of the state working a unionized job — behind only New York and Hawaii. Union members truly make the Evergreen State — and our world — go round.
We are one of the longest-running unionized state parties in the country, having signed our first collective bargaining agreement in 2018. We are proud to nurture strong partnerships with so many allied organizations, so we can help fight for the Democratic values we all share, like the freedom to unionize and providing everyone a fair return on their work.
And we are thrilled to see workers throughout Washington state and the country rising up and demanding rights on the job, like at Starbucks and Amazon. But there shouldn’t be so many hurdles.
This is why it’s so critical Congress passes the PRO Act, so workers can be empowered to collectively bargain for the wages, benefits, and working conditions that they deserve. The legislation has made it through the House, with strong support from Washington’s Democratic representatives, but is stalled in the Senate — another reminder of how important it is to protect and expand our majority.
Every worker deserves a union, and Democrats are fighting alongside our allies to guarantee each person has that freedom, so we can continue to make progress in the workplace.
This Labor Day, let’s reflect on how far we’ve come, and recommit ourselves to the work ahead to help elect Democrats up and down the ticket in November, ensuring people are put before profits.
BREAKING: FIRST POST-PRIMARY POLLING DATA FROM WA-03
The first polling on the race in WA-03 was released this morning and the results are extremely encouraging for Democrats’ chances in the district. An August 2022 poll from Expedition Strategies of 400 likely voters provided the following data:
- In an initial head-to-head ballot test, Perez leads Kent, 47 percent to 45 percent, with 8% of voters undecided.
- After giving poll recipients background on the candidates, Perez’s lead grew to 52% over Kent’s 40%, with 7% undecided.
- Kent is better known to district voters, with 75% of voters saying they have a clear opinion of him. Only 45% say the same about Perez, meaning we still need to build her Name ID.
- 39% of voters surveyed expressed an unfavorable view of Kent, compared to 36% expressing a favorable view.
- Perez earned a stronger favorability to unfavorability ratio of 29% to 17% – but significant work is needed to make her known to district voters.
Please be aware that this is the first polling since the primary results, and later polls may paint a different picture. Nevertheless, these numbers are extremely exciting and provide strong motivation for us to continue our hard work in WA-03!
You can find more details and the polling memo via today’s Politico Playbook!
We need all the help we can get to get out the vote in CD 03 and help support Marie Perez’ campaign! Please consider a making contribution to our efforts and Marie’s via the following link:
MAGA Extremist Joe Kent is the exact opposite of who we need in Congress! He is a committed advocate of ending abortion rights nationally without exceptions, and is a true believer in GOP conspiracy theories, including claiming the 2020 election was stolen and that the January 6th insurrection at the U.S. Capitol may have been organized by intelligence agencies. Not to mention that he considers far-right ne’er-do-wells Marjorie Taylor Green and Matt Gaetz his “personal role models” – we cannot let him win!
Marie is a terrific candidate who will fight to improve the lives of every American and we must fight hard every single day to support her campaign!
DEMOCRATS IN THE NEWS
Some Republicans in Washington state cast a wary eye on an election security device
Washington Secretary of State Steve Hobbs has made a plea to county officials to get or keep Albert sensors in order to keep Washington’s election systems safe and secure.
Sen. Murray proposes earlier medical help for Hanford nuclear workers
New legislation proposed by Sen. Patty Murray would save the lives of Hanford nuclear reservation workers, according to medical experts and union officials.
Student Loan Forgiveness a win for progressives
Rep. Pramila Jayapal discusses President Joe Biden’s plan to alleviate student loan debt with MSNBC, and why this is just the thing Democrats need going into the midterms.
Find additional news items and more on our website and social media.
Our field team keeps growing! Recently, we’ve welcomed Nick Maple, Dane Wagenhoffer, Keira Mcbeth, Herbert Morris, and Marcus Luedtke to our campaign staff. Nick, Dane, Keira, Herbert, and Marcus are all field organizers. Each will play an integral role in our GOTV operation and will help mobilize voters in communities throughout Washington state.
Want to join our team, or know of someone who’d make a great addition? Current openings:
Visit wa-democrats.org/jobs to learn more.
SAVE THE DATE
WFSE Local 793 Annual Labor Day Picnic
In partnership with the Pierce County Labor Council, WFSE (AFSCME Council 28) Local 793 will host its annual Labor Day picnic from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 5, at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood, just across from the Western State Hospital. Special guests will include Congresswoman Marilyn Strickland, state Rep. Mari Leavitt, and more!
For the week of Sept. 3-9:
- Silverdale Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- LD 45 Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- LD 5 Canvass – Maple Valley, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Tacoma Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Spokane Valley Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Puyallup Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Gig Harbor Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 3
- LD 41 Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Sept. 3
- Seattle Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 3
- Marysville Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 3
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 3
- Mill Creek Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 3
- Tukwila Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 4
- LD 48 Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 4
- LD 5 Canvass – Snoqualmie, 10 a.m. Sept. 4
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 4
- Lakewood Canvass, 10 a.m. Sept. 4
- Port Townsend Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Sept. 4
- Edmonds Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 4
- Snohomish Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 4
- East Tacoma Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 4
- Bremerton Canvass, 11 a.m. Sept. 4
- LD 46 Canvass, noon Sept. 4
- Renton Canvass, noon Sept. 4
- Seattle Canvass, noon Sept. 4
- Yakima Canvass, 1 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 36 Canvass, 2 p.m. Sept. 4
- Cowlitz Canvass, 2 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 41 Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Seattle Hybrid Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 42 Hybrid Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 45 Hybrid Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 47 Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Fircrest Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- East Tacoma Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- LD 44 Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Pierce and Kitsap Counties Hybrid Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Vancouver Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Cowlitz County Virtual Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 4
- Kitsap County Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 4
- Oak Harbor Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 5
- Everett Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 5
- Tacoma Canvass, 1 p.m. Sept. 5
- Tacoma Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 5
- Cowlitz County Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 5
- Bremerton Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- LD 11 Canvass – Kent, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- Seattle Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- LD 21 Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- Bellingham Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- Mill Creek Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- Vancouver Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6
- Yakima Phone Bank, 4 p.m. Sept. 7
- Clallam and Jefferson Counties Phone Bank, 4:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Edmonds Canvass, 5 p.m. Sept. 7
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 5 p.m. Sept. 7
- LD 11 Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Seattle Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- LD 48 Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Oak Harbor Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Lynden Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Pierce and Kitsap Counties Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Vancouver Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- LD 44 Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 7
- Yakima Phone Bank, 6 p.m. Sept. 7
- Steilacoom Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 8
- Spokane Virtual Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Sept. 8
- Yakima Canvass, 5 p.m. Sept. 8
- LD 45 Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 8
- Oak Harbor Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 8
- Blaine Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 8
- Bremerton Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Sept. 8
Learn more of what’s happening in your neck of the woods and sign up for event alerts HERE.
From now until November, we have to mobilize every Democratic voter in Washington state — and we need your help to accomplish that. Join our incredible team of volunteers!
Keep in touch, stay engaged, and as always, thank you for all you do!
Washington State Democratic Party
The work we do today wins elections this November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now.
Want to support our work year round? Join Blue Washington, our monthly giving program! It is the most effective way to help candidates, volunteers, organizers, activists, and staff because it gives us the certainty we need to scale up our program with confidence. Your monthly investment ensures we can defend our strong legislative majorities, flip key congressional seats from red to blue, and fight for progressive values. Help us lead the way to victories at all levels of government today!
The work we do today wins elections in November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now. Consider supporting our work year round by joining our monthly giving program, Blue Washington!
Washington State Democrats PO Box 4027 Seattle, WA 98194 United States