MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
Since the rise of Donald Trump and MAGA Republicans, we’ve seen a surge in extremism and political violence — both leading up to and in the aftermath of the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection — in Washington and throughout the country. Yet, the state and national GOP do nothing; in fact, they just seem to veer farther and farther right.
On Wednesday, The Daily Beast and The Seattle Times published articles detailing the Washington State Republican Party’s connection to Greyson Arnold, a known pro-Nazi blogger. Arnold, who was on the organization’s payroll, runs a far-right Telegram account, Pure Politics.
And the fact, as this article makes clear, this isn’t the Washington GOP’s only connection to white nationalists, is disgusting and completely unacceptable. Republicans in this state and nationally need to step up and disavow the racist vitriol and violence coming from many of its members, rather than continuing to normalize it or lying when called out — like for putting an extremist and Nazi sympathizer on the payroll.
We are seeing a trend in the Evergreen State and nationwide with MAGA Republicans attempting to hide their extremist beliefs from voters right now. Why? Because they know they are completely out of touch with a majority of Americans on the issues that matter most. The three worst examples are U.S. Sen. Patty Murray’s opponent, Tiffany Smiley, Congresswoman Kim Schrier’s opponent, Matt Larkin, and Marie Gluesenkamp Perez’s opponent, Joe Kent.
Smiley recently was caught scrubbing a section from her website saying she had “serious questions about the integrity of our elections.” The U.S. Senate candidate also is trying to backtrack on abortion and claim she opposes a federal ban, but yet calls herself “100% pro-life,” endorsed Texas’s extreme, near-total abortion ban, and celebrated the fall of Roe v. Wade.
And then there’s Larkin in WA-08 who won’t say whether he believes President Joe Biden’s win over Trump was legitimate — something Smiley won’t do either.
Even Trump’s chosen WA-03 candidate, Kent, is trying to paint himself as a less extreme extremist, despite having connections to a number of white nationalists, like Nick Fuentes, Patriot Prayer’s Joey Gibson, and Oath Keeper and Arizona state Sen. Wendy Rodgers, and publicly making statements in support of ‘a white people special interest group,’ as well as ending virtually all immigration in the U.S. Like the Washington GOP, Kent is also directly connected to Greyson Arnold, an associate of Fuentes. The two were photographed together at a fundraiser for Kent in July, but Kent and his campaign denied knowing Arnold. However, CNN later discovered a past interviewwhere Arnold spoke to Kent in June for Pure Politics.
MAGA Republicans like Smiley, Kent and Larkin can’t even be trusted to tell the truth. How could they be trusted to represent the people of Washington state in office? They can’t.
As Democrats, we will never waver on our values, nor our commitment to pushing back against extremism. We know it doesn’t belong in public office — and neither do MAGA Republicans. This is why we are working round the clock statewide to help our incredible candidates cross the finish line in November. We have 25 days to make it happen and need your help to do it! Get involved today by signing up for one (or more) of the many volunteer opportunities below.
WORKING FOR WASHINGTON
Ballots start arriving in mailboxes NEXT WEEK! We only have so much left to mobilize Democratic voters statewide and need your help.
Grab your door-knocking shoes, bring your friends, and join us Saturday, Oct. 15, and Sunday, Oct. 16, for the start of our Get Out the Vote tour ahead of the general election! We have FIVE canvasses scheduled, where you’ll have the chance to meet a number of fantastic Democrats.
Register below today! And don’t worry, this is just the beginning! So, if you can’t make an event this weekend, we’ll have plenty of other GOTV opportunities for you to get involved. You also can support our efforts with a contribution; chip in HERE today — anything helps!
DEMOCRATS IN THE NEWS
Some election overseers want to make their offices nonpartisan to inspire greater trust
Should the top elections official in Washington state officially be a nonpartisan? That’s one difference between the top two finalists running for Washington Secretary of State.
Why aren’t national Dems bankrolling WA’s 3rd Congressional race?
Marie Gluesenkamp Perez is trailing Trump-backed Republican Joe Kent in fundraising. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee isn’t helping.
Washington State GOP Pays a White Nationalist, Pro-Nazi Blogger
It’s no secret that Washington state has a white nationalist problem. Among the rugged mountains and towering pines are neo-Nazi groups and one of the largest chapters of a violent white supremacist organization. But there’s one group that has been increasingly and alarmingly connected to these extremists: Washington state’s GOP.
A majority of GOP nominees deny the 2020 election results
From Washington, the list includes congressional and Trump-endorsed candidate Joe Kent (WA-03), as well as U.S. Reps. Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Dan Newhouse.
Impeachment vote gives Democrats chance at House seat in Southwest Washington
The race for an open congressional seat in Washington state is drawing national attention as control of the House is up for grabs amid an environment of increasing polarization.
ICYMI: With control of Congress at stake, Schrier is a must-win in 8th District
Congresswoman Kim Schrier earned the Times’ editorial board endorsement because she developed a reputation as a practical deal maker, not a partisan firebrand.
Find additional news items and more on our website and social media.
Our field team continues to grow! We recently welcomed Alix Bliss, Robin Vovolka, Hank White and Irlanda Garcia to our campaign staff! Each plays an integral role in our GOTV operation, helping mobilize communities statewide ahead of the general to get our incredible Democratic candidates across the finish line in November. We’re excited to have them onboard with us!
SAVE THE DATE
Get Out the Vote Tour
Join us as we begin our statewide Get Out the Vote tour and help build Democratic momentum in every corner of Washington state ahead of the general election on Nov. 8.
SATURDAY, OCT. 15
- Shelton Canvass, 9:30 a.m.
- Special guests : U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Congressman Derek Kilmer, Chair Tina Podlodowski and candidates Julianne Gale, James DeHart and Sandy Kaiser
- Gig Harbor Canvass, 11:30 a.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Congressman Derek Kilmer, Chair Tina Podlodowski, state Sen. Emily Randall and candidate Adison Richards
- Port Townsend Canvass, 1:30 p.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Congressman Derek Kilmer, Chair Tina Podlodowski and state Reps. Mike Chapman and Steve Tharinger
SUNDAY, OCT. 16
- Mount Vernon, 11:30 a.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Gov. Jay Inslee, Chair Tina Podlodowski and state Rep. Alex Ramel
- Mill Creek Canvass, 1:30 p.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Congresswoman Suzan DelBene, Chair Tina Podlodowski and state Sen. John Lovick and Rep. Brandy Donaghy
Other volunteer events for the week of Oct. 15-21:
- Seattle Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Tacoma Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Walla Walla Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Green Lake Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Auburn Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Dupont Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 15
- Manito Park Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 15
- Seattle Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 15
- Sedro Woolley Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 15
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Bellevue Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Seattle Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- LD 45 Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- LD 10 Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Everett Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Shoreline Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Everett Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 15
- Spanaway Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Walla Walla Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Olympia Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Steilacoom Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Federal Way Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 16
- Bremerton Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 16
- Seattle Canvass, 10:30 a.m. Oct. 16
- Renton Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 16
- LD 48 Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 16
- Tacoma Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 16
- Puyallup Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 16
- Whatcom County Canvass, 11 a.m. Oct. 16
- LD 33 Canvass, noon Oct. 16
- LD 36 Canvass, noon Oct. 16
- Seattle Canvass, noon Oct. 16
- Spokane Valley Canvass, noon Oct. 16
- Yakima Canvass, noon Oct. 16
- Seattle Canvass, 1 p.m. Oct. 16
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 2 p.m. Oct. 16
- Walla Walla Phone Bank, 4 p.m. Oct. 16
- Whidbey Island Virtual Phone Bank, 11:30 a.m. Oct. 17
- Pierce County Phone Bank, 12:30 p.m. Oct. 17
- AAPI Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 17
- Cowlitz County Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 17
- Pierce and Kitsap Counties Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 17
- Vancouver Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 17
- Oak Harbor Virtual Phone Bank, 11:30 a.m. Oct. 18
- Pierce County Canvass, 12:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Steilacoom Virtual Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 18
- Pierce County Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 18
- LD 36 Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Tukwila Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- West Seattle Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Seattle Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- LD 46 Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- LD 45 Hybrid Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Seattle Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Snohomish Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Vancouver Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Statewide Virtual Phone Bank in English and Spanish, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18
- Yakima Phone Bank, 4 p.m. Oct. 19
- Statewide Virtual Phone and Text Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 19
- Walla Walla Phone Bank, 5 p.m. Oct. 19
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 5 p.m. Oct. 19
- LD 48 Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 19
- Olympia Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 19
- Vancouver Phone Bank, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 19
- Edmonds Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 19
- Young Democrats Statewide Phone Bank, 6 p.m. Oct. 19
- Walla Walla Canvass, 10 a.m. Oct. 20
- Pierce County Phone Bank, 12:30 p.m. Oct. 20
- Kirkland Canvass, 4 p.m. Oct. 20
- Walla Walla Virtual Phone Bank, 4 p.m. Oct. 20
- Bremerton Canvass, 5:30 p.m. Oct. 20
Learn more of what’s happening in your neck of the woods and sign up for event alerts HERE.
From now until November, we have to mobilize every Democratic voter in Washington state — and we need your help to accomplish that. Join our incredible team of volunteers today!
Keep in touch, stay engaged, and as always, thank you for all you do!
Washington State Democratic Party
The work we do today wins elections this November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now.
Want to support our work year round? Join Blue Washington, our monthly giving program! It is the most effective way to help candidates, volunteers, organizers, activists, and staff because it gives us the certainty we need to scale up our program with confidence. Your monthly investment ensures we can defend our strong legislative majorities, flip key congressional seats from red to blue, and fight for progressive values. Help us lead the way to victories at all levels of government today!
The work we do today wins elections in November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now. Consider supporting our work year round by joining our monthly giving program, Blue Washington!
Washington State Democrats PO Box 4027 Seattle, WA 98194 United States