MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
Click the image to play the video
As Democrats, we know Washington’s election system must be fair and accessible for all eligible voters. This is why we are so passionate about protecting our freedom to vote and increasing access to the ballot box; this is why we must reelect Steve Hobbs to the Secretary of State’s office.
Steve works tirelessly in his role to ensure voting is safe and secure in Washington state, and stop the spread of dangerous misinformation coming from the GOP (and even some of his opponents) to intimidate and confuse voters out of participating in the midterm.
Since his appointment last November, he has implemented a text messaging program to contact people if their ballot is rejected, increased education outreach to voters, doubled the office’s cybersecurity efforts, and much more.
Steve is the only candidate fit for the job — The Seattle Times thinks so too. In a recent piece endorsing Steve, the Times’ editorial board wrote, “Hobbs’ sterling credentials, demonstrated independence, constituent-focused service and proven abilities makes him the best choice for Secretary of State.” We couldn’t agree more, and nominated him to our 2022 slate in late June.
Steve also was endorsed by The Stranger and a number of elected officials, labor unions, and local community and party organizations. We’re so lucky to have such a dedicated advocate, and it’s clear, if we want voting to remain fair, accessible, and secure, we must return him to office.
And remember, this is the first time a Democrat has held the position in 60 years. We can’t afford to lose it for another six decades, not when our democracy is on the line, and together, we won’t.
WORKING FOR WASHINGTON
It’s officially crunch time! Today marks the start of the 18-day voting period for the primary, and tomorrow, we begin our 2022 Get Out the Vote tour. We’re kicking it off in Gig Harbor and Federal Way, with help from U.S. Sen. Patty Murray and many other Democratic elected officials and candidates (details below). So, grab your door-knocking shoes and join us as we mobilize statewide and connect with voters this weekend — and every day until Aug. 2. If you can’t attend and want to support our efforts, chip in HERE. And be sure to watch for tour stops near you!
But most importantly, remember to get your ballot filled out and sent back! If you have any questions about voting, we’re here to help; our Voter Protection hotline is live at 206-309-VOTE, or 206-309-8683. You can also visit wa-democrats.org/iwillvote for more information.
Now is the time to do what Democrats are best at and vote. We’re counting on you!
DEMOCRATS IN THE NEWS
What to know about the Aug. 2 primary election in Washington
Ballots are being sent in the mail this week to all registered voters in Washington.
Murray leads Senate Democrats calling for equal rights to VA benefits for same-sex couples
A group of 41 Democratic senators, led by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, sent a letter Wednesday calling on the Department of Veterans Affairs to ensure same-sex spouses have access to the same benefits as other couples.
First look: New gun safety bill from Rep. Jayapal addresses suicide risk
The plan by Reps. Pramila Jayapal and John Curtis (R-Utah) aims to address this sobering statistic: More than half of firearm-related deaths in 2020 were by suicide.
Rep. Kim Schrier focuses on supply chain issues amid 8th District race
Congresswoman Kim Schrier is asking President Joe Biden to lower certain tariffs on items that keep supply chains moving smoothly. She says the cuts would help tackle inflation.
Find additional news and more on our website and social media!
We’re thrilled to highlight two of our newest staff members: Olivia Teague and Emily Morrow, both of whom started at the state party just this week. Olivia is a digital coordinator, and Emily a field organizer. They will be integral in making sure we get out the vote across Washington state this year!
Want to join our team, or know of someone who’d make a great addition? Current openings:
- Voter Protection Director
- Development Coordinator
- Deputy Field Organizer
- Digital Coordinator
- Field Organizer
Visit wa-democrats.org/jobs to learn more.
SAVE THE DATE
Get Out the Vote Tour Join us as we begin our statewide Get Out the Vote tour and build Democratic momentum in every corner of Washington state ahead of the Aug. 2 primary.
SATURDAY, JULY 16 Gig Harbor Canvass
- Time: Noon
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Chair Tina Podlodowski, state Sen. Emily Randall, District 26 candidates Adison Richards and Matt Macklin, and the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO’s Cherika Carter
- Time: 2 p.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, Chair Tina Podlodowski, Congressman Adam Smith, state Sen. Clare Wilson, and state Rep. Jamila Taylor
This is just the first leg of our tour; stay tuned for additional dates and locations leading up to Aug. 2!
Paddy McGuire for Mason County Auditor Help support Paddy McGuire’s campaign for Mason County Auditor Monday, July 18, at an event hosted by Secretary of State Steve Hobbs in support.
Time: 6-8 p.m. Location: Original Rainier Brewery Bottling Plant Common Room or via Zoom Special guests: Congressman Derek Kilmer, Secretary of State Steve Hobbs, state Auditor Pat McCarthy, state Sen. Sam Hunt, state Sen. Patty Kuderer, King County Elections Director Julie Wise, Thurston County Auditor Mary Hall, and Kitsap County Auditor Paul Andrews RSVP: In person - email@example.com; Zoom - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jena Griswold for CO Secretary of State Join us Thursday, July 21, in Seattle in supporting our neighbor to the east, Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold, on her 2022 reelection campaign.
Time: 5:30 p.m. - Cocktail Reception; 6:30 p.m. - Speaking Program Suggested Donation: $100 | $250 | $625 | $1,250 RSVP: secure.actblue.com/donate/jenajuly21st Questions: email@example.com
GET INVOLVED For the week of July 15-21:
- Clallam County Canvass – Sequim, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 15
- Kitsap County Canvass – Bremerton, 2 to 4 p.m. July 15
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 15
- Lewis County Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 15
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16
- Cheney Canvass, noon to 1 p.m. July 16
- Everett Canvass, noon to 2 p.m. July 16
- Everett Phone Bank, 1 to 3 p.m. July 16
- Spokane Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July p.m.
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 16
- Walla Walla Canvass, 10 a.m. 2 p.m. July 17
- Mountlake Terrace Canvass w/ Congresswoman Suzan DelBene, 11 a.m. 1 p.m. July 17
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 17
- Pierce County Canvass – East Tacoma, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 17
- Port Angeles Canvass, noon to 2 p.m. July 17
- Federal Way Canvass, noon to 2 p.m. July 17
- Liberty Lake Canvass, 1 to 4 p.m. July 17
- King County Canvass – Tukwila, 2 to 4 p.m. July 17
- Southwest Washington Phone Bank, 3 to 5 p.m. July 17
- Pierce County Virtual Canvass – Tacoma, 4 to 6 p.m. July 17
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 17
- District 24 Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 17
- Bellingham Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 17
- District 10 Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 17
- Gig Harbor Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 18
- District 46 Phone Bank, 3 to 5 p.m. July 18
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 18
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank – Puyallup, 5 to 7 p.m. July 18
- King County Phone Bank – Districts 5, 11, and 47, 5 to 7 p.m. July 18
- Walla Walla and Tri Cities Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 18
- Southwest Washington Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 18
- Northwest Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 18-21
- Everett Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 18
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 19
- District 26 Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 19
- King County Phone Bank – Issaquah, 5 to 7 p.m. July 19
- Southwest Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 19
- Pierce County Canvass – University Place, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 19
- Northwest Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 19-22
- Snohomish Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 19
- Port Orchard Canvass, 3 to 5 p.m. July 20
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 20
- Spokane Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 20
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank – East Tacoma, 5 to 7 p.m. July 20
- Milton Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 20
- Walla Walla and Tri Cities Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 20
- Northwest Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 20-23
- Everett Canvass, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 20
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 21
- Spokane Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 21
- King County Phone Bank – Kent, 5 to 7 p.m. July 21
- District 26 Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 21
- Bellingham Canvass, 5 to 7 p.m. July 21
- Pierce County Canvass – Puyallup, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 21
- Northwest Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 21-24
- District 1 Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 21
- King County Virtual Phone Bank, 6 to 6:30 p.m. July 21
Learn more of what’s happening in your neck of the woods and sign up for event alerts HERE.
From now until November, we have to mobilize every Democratic voter in Washington state — and we need your help to accomplish that. Join our incredible team of volunteers!
TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES CONNECTIONS LAB Framing in Action: Voter Contact | 5 p.m. July 18 Voter contact now includes new digital methods of communication, as well as phones and the old standard of face-to-face at the door. Campaigns will learn ways to effectively connect with voters.
Register to attend for free HERE.
Framing in Action: Common Framing Mistakes | 5 p.m. Aug. 17 Learn the things not to say, as well as ways of pivoting, so voters hear what you really want to say.
Register to attend for free HERE.
Keep in touch, stay engaged, and as always, thank you for all you do!
Washington State Democratic Party
The work we do today wins elections this November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now.
Want to support our work year round? Join Blue Washington, our monthly giving program! It is the most effective way to help candidates, volunteers, organizers, activists, and staff because it gives us the certainty we need to scale up our program with confidence. Your monthly investment ensures we can defend our strong legislative majorities, flip key congressional seats from red to blue, and fight for progressive values. Help us lead the way to victories at all levels of government today!
The work we do today wins elections in November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now. Consider supporting our work year round by joining our monthly giving program, Blue Washington!
Washington State Democrats PO Box 4027 Seattle, WA 98194 United States