Replacement plan, Patient Freedom Act (source LA Times article)
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Ban on lifetime and annual limits for benefits
- Coverage of certain preventive services without co-pays
- Coverage of mental health services
- Guarantees black-lung benefits for coal miners
- The federal exchange, healthcare.gov, will continue to operate.
- Dependents still will be permitted to stay on their parents’ employer-sponsored plans until age 26.
- Kills the employer mandate and individual mandate
- Substitutes a “continuous coverage” system for the individual mandate
- Becomes a state-level system
- Progressive states will be like Romneycare
- Regressive states will have junk insurance and claim coverage
- Poor are covered under expanded Medicaid. Federal pays 90% of cost
- Keeps ACA taxes like medical devices, Cadillac plan, high-income surcharge
- Keep individual subsidies
- Makes the law more complicated by an order of magnitude
- No tort reform
- No selling insurance across state lines
- Health care savings components benefit the wealthy
- Is there enough funding to the states to make it work?
- What essential benefits will be dropped?
- Continuous coverage requirement would throw some people out of insurance
- Subsidies less tied to income. Rich people benefit. Poor people lose.
- Residents of some states will lose catastrophically