The biggest story at the start of this week could have continued to be Queen Elizabeth’s passing or Ukraine gaining ground from Russia, but the top trending topic on Twitter is Trump making an unannounced visit to DC.
That’s right — in a year where Trump is not even on the ballot his every movement still dominates headlines.
In a speech on September 2, President Biden remarked that “there is no question that the Republican Party today is dominated, driven, and intimidated by Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans, and that is a threat to this country.” The President has it right — the Republican Party has been taken over by extremists. And in the course of the takeover of one of our two major political parties in this country, we are now faced with an overwhelming fascination with their actions.
Our media covers Trump’s every move.
Our polling considers what Trump’s support means to candidates.
Our social media feeds are filled with stories of the effects of extremism on pregnant Americans across the country.
There is no escaping MAGA mayhem.
But that’s not true. We can escape this cycle. If we get out the vote for these midterm elections we have the chance to deal a decisive blow to MAGA extremism in this country. We can ensure that, no matter how many tantrums MAGA Republicans throw, American values shine through in our policies and our actions. Let the media frenzy, let our obsession with extremism remind you to continue to work.
Every time you see Trump covered on TV — send a text.
Every time you watch coverage of the January 6th attempted coup — sign up for a phonebank.
Every time you feel that you are seeing the decline of our democracy before your very eyes — get out and knock on a door.
We have the power to make a difference. We can either let a small, right-wing minority’s descent into extremism allow us to spiral or we can choose to act and oppose it.
Indivisibles choose to fight.
With that, here are your weekly to-dos:
Your 6 weekly to-dos
- Click here to register to phonebank for Matt Cartwight for PA-08 tomorrow, Tuesday, September 13 at 6pm ET/3pm PT. Here’s your first opportunity to make your voice heard and make a difference. Matt Cartwright is a Give No Ground candidate in a district we need to hold to combat MAGA extremism. He is up against a candidate who wants more guns, rails against “CRT,” and believes we need to “secure our elections” — sounds a lot like MAGA extremist talking points to us. Let’s make sure Northeast Pennsylvania doesn’t fall into the hands of MAGA Republicans.
- Click here to register to Give No Ground. Click “volunteer” in the top right corner. If you are a part of an Indivisible group, register as a group, if not you can register as an individual. This is where we will do the work for the next 71 days to hold the House and achieve a real majority in the Senate. To win, we must get the message out. Give No Ground is our home for opportunities to phonebank, textbank, canvass, postcard, and more so that when November comes around, we can say that we gave it our all for democracy. MAGA Republicans are mobilizing, but there are more of us than there are of them. Let’s make sure we show it!
- Click here to sign up for the Indivisible Truth Brigade. Propaganda, false characterizations, intentionally misleading messages, and outright lies threaten our democracy and even our lives. We can effectively combat disinformation, despite the well-funded machines that drive it. People believe sources they trust! Lies are on the ballot this November and when lies are on the ballot, we have both a moral and an existential responsibility to stop them from winning. Sign up to learn how to fight disinformation in a way that drives change and protects our communities from the threat of extremism.
- Click here to call your senator and tell them to pass the Marriage Equality Act. Following the Dobbs decision, same-sex marriage is now on the chopping block for the Republican Supreme Court. Recently, Senate Republicans blocked passage of the Right to Contraception Act reminding us that our rights are not only in jeopardy, but Republicans will actively refuse to enshrine them into law without pressure. We cannot allow the MAGA-led rollback of our rights to continue — not while our senators have the power to intervene. Voting against the Marriage Equality Act would be wildly unpopular and put these politicians’ careers in jeopardy (which is why we saw some House Republicans vote with Democrats on it). Let’s make sure Republican senators know it!
- Click here to call your senator and demand they pass the Markey Court Expansion Bill. Even as Democrats work to expand our rights, the threat of them being overturned by the Supreme Court looms large. We must expand the court after Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell conspired to pack it for generations to come. The only way to re-legitimize the court is to expand it. Contact your senator and, when you’re done, click here to contact your representative and tell them to pass Rep. Mondaire Jones’ House version of the bill.
- Do you live in a rural area? Click here to join our National Rural Program. We have special election resources and calls specifically for our rural Indivisibles where you can learn more about strategies and issues specific to Indivisibles living in rural areas. If you want an idea of what that looks like, click here to check out our agenda and notes from previous meetings.
Click here to register for our Fight Election Disinformation — Truth Brigade Action Virtual Call: Featuring Dan Pfeiffer this Wednesday, September 14 at 6:30 ET/3:30 PT. Disinformation poisons minds and prevents our society from moving forward to protect the people and the planet. Lies are spread to obtain unearned power — it’s as simple as that. Lies around voting and elections provide the path to that unearned power. Join us September 14 to learn which states, people, and campaigns are most vulnerable, and how we can and must disrupt voting-related disinformation. Leave this event inspired, clear-headed and focused on taking meaningful action. We’ll be joined by Dan Pfeiffer, co-host of Pod Save America and author of Battling the Big Lie: How Fox, Facebook and the MAGA Media are Destroying America.
Click here to register for a Letter to the Editor (LTE) training and workshop with the Indivisible Press Team on this Thursday, September 15 at 8pm ET/5pm PT. This training will help you identify how to effectively write LTE’s and then target compatible publications for placement. You’ll then have the opportunity to workshop you’re writing and submit and LTE on issues issues like abortion and MAGA mayhem in community with fellow Indivisible activists and staff.
Click here to sign up for the January 6th Justice Activist Call on Thursday, September 15 at 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT. The bipartisan January 6th Select Committee has shown that Trump and his MAGA allies planned, promoted, and paid for a criminal conspiracy to overturn an election they knew they’d lost. Trump and his MAGA allies continue to work to sabotage future elections by changing state laws, threatening state officials, and packing election administration offices so that they can have the final say over election results — even when they lose. We must hold them accountable! No one is above the law. Join us and our partners to learn how to take action to defend our democracy. Bonus: Our very own Ezra Levin will be a guest speaker on this call.
Click here to register for the Deep Canvassing Phonebank to Conflicted Pro-Choice Voters (Central/East) on Tuesday, September 20 from 5pm-8pm ET/2pm-5pm PT. Come see what all the hype is about in Deep Canvassing — the voter contact program Indivisibles are calling “magic,” where past volunteers have said, “I transform into the type of person I want to be!” From Kansas to New York, we know that voters are moving toward us on abortion and MAGA extremism. But there are still folks out there with conflicting beliefs, and through deep canvassing, we can move them to our side! We’ll call voters who are likely pro-choice but don’t always vote for Democrats, have open conversations about their stake in abortion access, and move them to act on their beliefs by voting for progressive candidates. We’ve been moving around 10% of voters we talk to, a massive electorate shift especially in close races! Please note this is a 3hr event: you’ll receive a 1hr training on deep canvassing fundamentals, followed by a 2hr phonebank + debrief for the Give No Ground candidate of your choice in Illinois, Georgia, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin.
Click here to RSVP for our next Give No Ground MAGA Mayhem Election National Activist Call on Thursday, September 22 at 8pm ET/5pm PT. As the political landscape continues to shift in the leadup to the midterm elections, get an inside look at what Indivisibles are doing this cycle to make sure we Give No Ground this November. This call, we will have special guest Sophia McClennen speaking to us on why laughtivism works and effective tactics we can use to break through the MAGA mayhem.
IndivisiWin of the Week
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up on the latest information, and text “INDIVISIBLE” to 59798 to opt-in to our text messaging program where we send rapid response actions a few times a month.
Republican extremism is on the ballot this November. What are you going to do to stop it? Make a commitment today to ensure the safety of the American people and our democracy long into the future.
Indivisible Action is a Hybrid Political Action Committee fueled by the grassroots movement to win elections and build local, independent progressive power nationwide. Read more about the formation of our PAC here.
Grassroots donations, not foundations or large gifts, are our single largest source of funding. That means we’re accountable to, and fueled by, Indivisibles on the ground. Chip in $7 to keep fueling our movement.
To give by mail, send a check to Indivisible Action, PO Box 43135, Washington, DC 20010.
Contributions to Indivisible Action are not tax-deductible.