MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
Click the image to play the video
Republican-led voter intimidation efforts are in full swing statewide. Right now, people are being recruited to watch drop boxes — a continued effect of Donald Trump’s “Big Lie.” It’s disappointing, but ultimately, not surprising, as we’ve seen them deploy similar tactics nationally.
In King County, Republicans went as far as posting signs at drop boxes, stating the area was under surveillance and asking people to report anything “suspicious” to the KC GOP’s website.
The “Big Lie” is just that, a big lie. Washington’s election system is not only fair and accessible, but secure. Time and again, they fail to provide any real proof of fraud. Drop-box surveillance is textbook voter intimidation, pure and simple, and it needs to end. Drop boxes remain a safe place to deposit a completed ballot, that hasn’t changed no matter what they claim.
This is why we have actively called upon the Washington State GOP to rebuke these efforts. We must do everything in our power to fight back against any effort to cast doubt on the validity of our electoral institutions and weaken our democracy, which only thrives when people vote.
This is also exactly why we have our Voter Protection hotline at 206-309-VOTE (8683). Our team is ready to assist folks with any questions or concerns, and we will do all we can to ensure every voter gets the help and support they need to cast their ballot.
If you see any drop-box surveillance efforts in your area, report it there as well. And if you have a legal background and some time, we could use your volunteer help with our stellar Voter Protection team; contact firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
But most importantly, if you haven’t mailed in your ballot yet, make sure you do so ASAP! Our terrific Democrats need your support in the primary. The clock is ticking — don’t delay, vote today!
WORKING FOR WASHINGTON
Grab your door-knocking shoes, bring your friends, and join us Saturday and Sunday, as we continue our 2022 Get Out the Vote tour in eastern and western Washington!
U.S. Sen. Patty Murray is slated to kick off a canvass at Everett’s Funko Field, while Chair Tina Podlodowski will launch ones in Walla Walla, Spokane, and Yakima. Both are set to be joined by several Democratic elected officials and candidates; you can find all of the details below.
If you can’t attend and want to support our efforts, chip in HERE. And be sure to watch for more details about next week’s events in Bellingham, Issaquah, Lakewood and Vancouver!
DEMOCRATS IN THE NEWS
Washington congressional Republicans vote against protecting contraception access The three Republican members of Washington’s congressional delegation joined 192 other Republicans in opposing the Right to Contraception Act, which allows individuals to obtain and use birth control, and protects a health care provider’s ability to supply contraceptives.
Washington reps join 155 Republicans in vote against codifying marriage equality Congresswomen Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Jamie Herrera Butler opposed the Respect for Marriage Act, which provides protections for same-sex and interracial marriage.
Washington Democrats call on state GOP to disavow drop-box surveillance efforts The Washington State Democrats called on the Washington State Republican Party to disavow any drop-box surveillance efforts by its local party organizations and other far-right groups.
U.S. House passes bills to ensure nationwide abortion access, interstate travel Washington Democratic Rep. Kim Schrier, a pediatrician, advocated for passage, saying that Republican abortion policies that don’t include exceptions for rape or incest are barbaric.
Find additional news and more on our website and social media!
We’re thrilled to highlight our newest Poulsbo field organizer, Savannah Johnson! Savannah started at the state party just this week, and has hit the ground running with GOTV. She moved to Washington from her home state of Florida in 2016, and is currently working toward a degree in environmental science, with a concentration in natural resources and conservation. Savannah got her start in politics while in high school, making voter registration calls for the Obama campaign.
We’re excited to have her passion at the state party, and can’t wait to see all she accomplishes here!
Want to join our team, or know of someone who’d make a great addition? Current openings:
Visit wa-democrats.org/jobs to learn more.
SAVE THE DATE
Get Out the Vote Tour Join us as we begin our statewide Get Out the Vote tour and build Democratic momentum in every corner of Washington state ahead of the Aug. 2 primary.
SATURDAY, JULY 23 Walla Walla
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Special guests: Chair Tina Podlodowski, 16th LD candidates Jeff Strickler and Jan Corn
SUNDAY, JULY 24 Spokane
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Special guests: Chair Tina Podlodowski, 4th LD candidate Ted Cummings, and 6th LD candidate Michaela Kelso
- Time: 3 p.m.
- Special guests: Chair Tina Podlodowski and 4th CD candidate Doug White
- Time: 1 p.m.
- Special guests: U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, U.S. Reps. Rick Larsen and Suzan DelBene, state Sens. June Robinson and John Lovick, and Everett City Councilmember and 38th LD candidate Mary Fosse
GET INVOLVED For the week of July 15-21:
For the week of July 22-28:
- Pierce County Canvass – East Tacoma, 2 to 4 p.m. July 22
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank – East Tacoma, 2 to 4 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. July 22
- Bremerton Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 22
- Yakima Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 22
- Central and Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 22
- Spokane Canvass, 5 to 7 p.m. July 22
- Southwest Outreach Hours, 5 to 7 p.m. July 22
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 10 a.m. to noon July 23
- Gig Harbor Canvass, 10 a.m. to noon July 23
- Thurston County Canvass, 10 a.m. to noon July 23
- Kitsap County – Silverdale, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 23
- Pierce County Canvass – Puyallup, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 23
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 23
- South King County Canvass – Covington, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 23
- 41st LD Virtual Phone Book, noon to 2 p.m. July 23
- Kenmore Canvass, noon to 2 p.m. July 23
- 43rd LD Canvass, 12:30 to 3 p.m. July 23
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank, 2 to 4 p.m. July 23
- Camas Canvass, 2 to 5 p.m. July 23
- King County Canvass – Klahanie, 2 to 4 p.m. July 23
- Kitsap County Virtual Phone Bank, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. July 23
- Bremerton Canvass, 3 to 5 p.m. July 23
- 18th LD Pizza Phone Bank, 6 to 8 p.m. July 23
- Vancouver Canvass, 10 a.m. to noon July 24
- Pierce County Canvass – Lakewood, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. JUly 24
- Bellingham Canvass, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 24
- Gig Harbor Canvass, noon to 2 p.m. July 24
- Redmond Canvass with State Sen. Patty Kuderer, 1 to 3 p.m. July 24
- Cowlitz County Canvass, 2 to 5 p.m. July 24
- Renton Highlands Canvass with City Councilor Kim-Khanh Van, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. July 24
- Statewide Automatic Dialer Phonebank, 4 to 8 p.m. July 24
- 26th LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 24
- Bellingham Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 24
- 32nd LD Phone Bank, noon to 6 p.m. July 25
- Tri-cities Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 25
- 36th LD Text Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 25
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank – East Tacoma, 5 to 7 p.m. July 25
- Vancouver Phone Bank, 5 to 8 p.m. July 25
- Bremerton Canvass, 5 to 7 p.m. July 25
- King County Phone Bank, 5th/11th/47th LD – 5 to 7 p.m. July 25
- Walla Walla and Tri Cities Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 25
- South Sound Text Bank, 1 to 3 p.m. July 26
- Walla Walla Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 26
- King County Phone Bank, 47th LD – 5 to 7 p.m. July 26
- Pierce County Canvass – University Place/Fircrest, 3 to 5 p.m. July 26
- 43rd LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 26
- 26th LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 26
- 41st LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 26
- 39st LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 26
- One Week ’til E-Day Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 26
- Jefferson County Virtual Phone Bank, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. July 27
- Yakima Canvass, 2 to 4 p.m. July 27
- Jefferson County Canvass – Port Townsend, 3 to 5 p.m. July 27
- Eastern Washington Phone Bank, 4 to 6 p.m. July 27
- Kitsap County Canvass – Bremerton, 5 to 7 p.m. July 27
- Vancouver Phone Bank, 5 to 8 p.m. July 27
- Walla Walla and Tri Cities Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 27
- 48th LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 27
- Pierce County Virtual Phone Bank – Tacoma, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 27
- Pierce County Canvass – Puyallup, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. July 28
- Anacortes Canvass, 4 to 6 p.m. July 28
- Clallam County Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 28
- King County Phone Bank – Snoqualmie Valley, 5 to 7 p.m. July 28
- 26th LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5 to 7 p.m. July 28
- Bellingham Canvass, 5 to 7 p.m. July 28
- 45th LD Virtual Phone Bank, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 28
- Vancouver Canvass, 5:30 to 8 p.m. July 28
Learn more of what’s happening in your neck of the woods and sign up for event alerts HERE.
From now until November, we have to mobilize every Democratic voter in Washington state — and we need your help to accomplish that. Join our incredible team of volunteers!
CONNECTIONS LAB Framing in Action: Common Framing Mistakes | 5 p.m. Aug. 17 Learn the things not to say, as well as ways of pivoting, so voters hear what you really want to say.
Register to attend for free HERE.
Keep in touch, stay engaged, and as always, thank you for all you do!
Washington State Democratic Party
The work we do today wins elections this November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now.
Want to support our work year round? Join Blue Washington, our monthly giving program! It is the most effective way to help candidates, volunteers, organizers, activists, and staff because it gives us the certainty we need to scale up our program with confidence. Your monthly investment ensures we can defend our strong legislative majorities, flip key congressional seats from red to blue, and fight for progressive values. Help us lead the way to victories at all levels of government today!
The work we do today wins elections in November. If you’re ready to elect Democrats in every race and every place in Washington state, invest in our efforts and make a contribution now. Consider supporting our work year round by joining our monthly giving program, Blue Washington!
Washington State Democrats PO Box 4027 Seattle, WA 98194 United States