Democracy Happy Hour @ 5 pm PT –
The Influence of Fossil Fuel Lobbyists w/ James Browning from Global Energy Monitor
Democracy Happy Hour January 18 @ 5 pm PT!
Grab a drink and come hear about the latest democracy news, ongoing efforts to fix democracy, and actions you can take at our weekly Democracy Happy Hour, Wednesdays @ 5 pm PT.
Today's topic for January 18, 2023: The Influence of Fossil Fuel Lobbyists w/ James Browning from Global Energy Monitor
- Jan 25th – Utilizing Coalitions to Reform Democracy
- Feb 1st – Media Literacy w/ Lesley James, Media Literacy & Digital Citizenship Program Supervisor, WA Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Feb 8th – CANCELLED: Democracy Lobby Week presentations held instead
Please submit any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us for
It’s going to be a busy and exciting legislative session! Lots of important legislation will be introduced and voted on, so here’s a way to get in on the action, and make your voice heard, including the chance to meet online with your state representatives and senators.
Planned sessions include hearing about current legislation, learning from issue experts, getting lobbying tips on how to talk to your legislators, and opportunities to speak with your own legislators.
Our goal is to facilitate your participation in our Washington State government, and to give you the tools you need to work effectively with your legislators.
Monday, Feb. 6, 2023: Main program
- Updates and talking points on current legislation and issues for the legislative session
- Hear directly from a panel of legislators, both Republicans and Democrats
- “How to Lobby,” presented by the LWWA Lobby Team, including contacting legislators, following the progress of bills, developing talking points, and Q&A session
Tuesday – Thursday, Feb. 7 – Feb. 9
- Virtual meetings with your legislators during the day plus evening programs on topics such as proportional representation & ranked choice voting, campaign finance reform, climate, health, and more.
Friday, February 10
- Wrap-up. Evening Celebration – Share Suggestions & Feedback
Important Note: All events will be recorded (except for legislator meetings). If you are not sure you can make it to one or more of the events, please register anyway, as all registrants will receive links to all events.
How will virtual legislative meetings work?
During Lobby Week, members will have the opportunity to meet with their legislators to discuss upcoming legislation. Meetings with legislators will be scheduled by a local Legislative District Meeting Coordinator based on legislative districts. Most meetings with legislators will be during the day on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, although some meetings may be scheduled at other times. Legislative District Meeting Coordinators will provide Zoom links and other information as needed.
How much does it cost to attend?
The registration fee is $5 per person. All proceeds from these fees and any additional donations will go to defray the costs of this event. Any surplus fees and donations will be split equally between the League of Women Voters of Washington and Fix Democracy First to support our important advocacy work.